Estate Planning Ideas: Tom Deans Live Recap
Recently we conducted a series of online client presentations with Dr. Tom Deans, who is the best-selling author of a JMRD Watson favourite book ‘Willing Wisdom’. Thank you to everyone that attended as it was our first attempt at this scale of a virtual event. The technology seemed to hold up well and the insights from Tom were quite good. We will be doing more of these chats and will look to improve the process each time as we may be in this current scenario for some time.
For more information on Tom please feel free to visit his website HERE
The feedback from those who were able to listen in has been great! We have received a lot of feedback and questions on the idea of regular family meetings, which act as a forum for parents to communicate estate planning and financial details to their children. We have had some experience helping to facilitate some family meetings and would be happy to discuss this concept with your family.
If you were unable to attend our live event or would like to watch again, we have provided the replays below:
JMRD Watson Live with Dr. Tom Deans Part One: Building Smart Estate Plans
JMRD Watson Live with Dr. Tom Deans Part two: The Top 6 Estate Planning Ideas Successful Families Master
The Tom Deans Program and ‘Willing Wisdom’ has become an integral part of the JMRD WATSON Financial Planning Process.
JMRD Watson has always been committed to life-long learning and continuing education. In 2017, the Team had the opportunity to attend a fantastic presentation by Tom Deans.
Since attending his presentation, we have had the pleasure of chatting with Tom regularly and are thrilled that we have been able to bring his message to our clients. His message of planning early and sharing financial information has truly resonated with us.
Over the past year we have attempted to give a copy of Tom’s book to each one of our clients. If you have not received your copy, let us know. We hope to provide this book to all clients that want it.
Once again, we thought we would share his 7 questions that successful families ask:
- What word best describes our family. Share a family story that helps explain the word you selected.
- Describe how your parents acquired their wealth. Share a memory about something your parents did to provide for you that left a lasting impression.
- How would an inheritance advance your dreams for yourself, your family and your community?
- In the context of planning for the division of your assets, does fair mean fair or does fair mean equal? Who are you planning on leaving your wealth to, and will you share a copy of your will with me?
- Describe how your parents divided their assets and when you first learned of the contents of their will? What would you do the same and what would you do differently?
- Describe the role you play or played in the final care of your parents. Can you name one thing that was or is being done well, and one thing you could change or wish you had done differently?
- Describe in detail your last wishes.
These are not always easy questions to answer. However, we are more than happy to work with you and your family to meet your planning goals.